“I’m sorry you were not truly loved and that it made you cruel.”
– Warsan Shire (via housewifeswag)
“1. The most beautiful thing you can wear is a smile.
2. High school sucks for everyone.
3. You’re going to get your heart broken. But you will get over it, too.
5. Only have sex when you want to, with somebody who respects you enough to wait until you do.
6. Learn to laugh at yourself.
7. Embrace whatever music you like to listen to and don’t let anybody ever tell you to turn it off.
8. Let go of things you know you can’t change.
9. Develop a voice and make it loud.
10. Even the girl on the cover of the magazine doesn’t look like the girl on the cover of the magazine.
11. Fart when you need to.
12. Don’t mistake desire for love.
13. The amount of pride you’ll feel when you look good in a bikini for twenty minutes is far less important than the happiness you’ll get from ordering a Big Mac.
14. It’s okay to spend some days in bed.
15. The right guy will love you for who you are, not who he wants you to be.
16. If you make a mistake, own up to it.
17. Dye your hair. You can always dye it back again.
18. Scrolling through photos of the new girl he’s sleeping with won’t help you at all. And keep in mind that she probably doesn’t look like that without a filter and good lighting.
19. Try something out of your comfort zone.
20. Find friends who don’t mind holding your hair back after a night out. Do it for them, too.
21. Learn to say no.
22. Go after things that excite and challenge you, even if they scare you a little, too.
23. People are just people.
24. Nothing worth having comes easy. And nothing will just fall in your lap. If you want something, go out there and get it.
25. Don’t spread or make up gossip.
26. Get over your fear of peeing in public restrooms. Everyone goes there to do the exact same thing.
27. Always help your mom decorate the tree at Christmas.
29. Be with somebody who knows how many scoops of ice cream you really want.
30. You’re never too old for Disney movies.
31. Take photographs. Of everything.
32. Think before getting a tattoo.
33. People can be selfish.
34. Don’t let any boy whistle at you from across the street and get away with it.
35. Drink lots of water.
36. Make a Bucket List.
37. If you know that you’re right about something, don’t let anybody else change your opinion.
38. Learn to talk about your problems. The four walls of your bedroom don’t hear a damn thing.
40. Don’t believe everything you read on Facebook.
41. Empower other women. You’ll need one another when you take over the world someday.
42. Be unapologetically honest.
43. Wake up early and go for a walk. The world is a different place at 7am.
44. Don’t ever beg somebody to love you.
45. Put your phone down for a while and make memories that don’t need to be shared on Instagram.
46. Not everybody is going to like you.
47. Stop being afraid. You’re going to miss out on so much.
48. Learn to say yes.
49. Get lots of sleep.
50. Spend New Year’s Eve how you want to spend it, not how you think you should. So if that means staying in watching trash TV, do it.
51. There are very few things in life that chocolate can’t fix.
52. Pay attention to the little things.
53. Watch ‘Friends’. Please.
54. You don’t have to date him just because your friends are telling you to.
55. Go camping without worrying how dirty your hair might get.
56. Be nice to your parents. They’re growing up, too.
57. Eat the whole pizza to yourself.
58. Surround yourself with people who make you laugh so hard your stomach aches.
59. Cry if you need to.
60. Then cry some more.
61. Smoking isn’t cool, despite the persisting myth that taking those long drags can get you in with the popular crowd.
62. If you like it, buy it.
63. Who you are is not determined by your measurements.
64. Cinderella didn’t have to take off her dress to get her Prince so neither should you.
65. Dance in the rain.
66. Take risks.
67. Just because he buys you flowers, you don’t owe him anything.
68. Less is always more.
69. Don’t drink and drive. Or text and drive. Just be safe.
70. Make wishes and believe they will come true.
71. Laugh at your dad’s jokes. He’ll appreciate it.
72. If you can’t wear swearpants and no make up around your friends, they aren’t really your friends.
73. Go to a music festival at least once.
74. Don’t waste your breath on people who waste your time.
75. Spend time with your grandparents.
76. Be passionate.
77. Say “I love you” whenever you can.
78. Pay attention in math class.
79. Stand up for what you believe in, even if you’re standing alone.
80. Don’t give out advice you wouldn’t use yourself.
81. It’s more than okay to walk away from somebody who treats you like crap. It’s hard. But it’s okay.
82. Stop buying things you don’t really need.
83. Visit your Doctor regularly.
84. If he’s not texting you back, he doesn’t want to speak to you. That’s the cold and hard truth of it.
85. Know who you are and don’t let people turn you into somebody else.
86. Always lick the bowl after baking.
87. Nobody has a good first kiss.
88. You will go through stuff that will make you want to stop living for a while. But every scar is proof that you survived. Because you can.
89. Throw a packed bag in the back of your car and just drive.
90. Condoms are made for a reason. Use them.
91. Go barefoot.
92. Try to stay positive.
93. Stop waiting for him to miss you. Move on and find somebody who won’t leave.
94. Be loyal.
95. Sing into your hairbrush whenever possible.
96. You don’t have to go to college. Or stay at a dead-end job you hate. Get out while you can and start doing something you enjoy.
97. Have fun.
98. Every day is a new chance to change your life.
99. You have to save yourself most of the time.
100. Everything is only temporary. Everything gets better.
101. Nobody has it figured out yet.”
– 101 Things To Know As A Teenager/Before You Turn 20-Part I (via the-taintedtruth)